Five Reasons to Start Backing Up Your Data on Rotating Tapes
After you press save on your computer, don’t breathe a sigh of relief just yet—this doesn’t ensure that your data is securely stored. Between natural disasters and system malfunctions (and let’s not forget user error), your business’s data isn’t truly safe until it’s backed up.
Setting up a backup schedule for daily, weekly, or monthly rotation ensures that your data is consistently being backed up without having to pay for an ever-growing number of tapes. Instead, your data will be backed up on a set number of rotating tapes, so you always have the last X number of days, weeks or months of data backed up. Here are 5 reasons to start a rotating tape backup schedule:
- So you can survive a disaster. Studies have shown that the majority of businesses that experience a major data loss don’t stay in business for long. In the event of a disaster or catastrophic event, every minute of downtime represents a cost to your business, which is why it’s essential that you have properly stored backup media.
- So you can access data right when you need it.Your offsite backup tapes can be available to you 24/7/365. In the event of a disaster or emergency restore, a professional courier should be able to deliver your tapes directly to your business or hot site.
- So you can keep data in its best condition. Backup tapes and hard drives that are kept in less-than-adequate environmental conditions can easily degrade. A climate-controlled vault can maintain temperature and humidity to preserve your backup tapes.
- So you can prevent corruption of data. Tapes are a reliable form of storage since they’re immune to viruses. Because tape backups are completely offline, there’s no risk of active infection or viruses, like there is with disk or cloud storage.
- So you can save money. Tape still has a lower cost per gigabyte of storage than any of its other competitors, at an average cost of $.02 per GB. For companies who can’t prioritize a big budget for data storage, a rotating tape backup schedule can keep costs down while still giving you peace of mind.
As a data storage company, Stevens & Stevens Business Records Management has seen it all when it comes to companies whose data hasn’t been backed up. Believe us when we say it is far easier and much more cost effective to have a data backup plan rather than scramble to try and save data that may or may not be recoverable. We can set-up a customized backup schedule that works for you. Your backup data will be bar coded, tracked, and then cycled back to you on schedule or as-needed. In the meantime, your data will be safe in our secure climate-controlled vault. Learn more by clicking here.
Leave a Comment