In today’s high-tech world, protecting your business records is essential. Without proper security and access, you could be opening up your business to serious consequences.
Knowing that, when selecting a records storage facility, how do you ensure you’re picking the company that provides the best options? Since not all records storage facilities are created equal, it is crucial to ask these important questions.
- What services do you offer? Using separate firms for scanning, storing and shredding is a hassle and leaves you vulnerable to gaps in security. The more service options a company can provide, beyond just a records storage facility, the more convenient and secure it will be for your operations.
- How easy will it be to retrieve records? You want good security, but you also want easy access to your records. If a company uses barcode tracking, they’ll easily be able to find the paper records you need in their facility. If they offer delivery or scanning services, you could have the document you need back in your hands in no time.
- How will my records be protected against temperature and humidity? Specifically check what measures the facility has in place to control high temperatures and humidity. Without these types of controls, your records could be seriously damaged
- Will my records be safe in a natural disaster? The whole idea of offsite records management is to keep your records safe – no matter what. Being safe from natural disasters is particularly important in Florida and the Carolinas. The records storage facility you choose should be able to withstand very high winds and have redundant backup power.
- How secure will my records be? Look for a company where all employees have undergone extensive background checks, signed confidentiality agreements and completed comprehensive privacy training.
- How is compliance handled? When it comes time to dispose of records, it has to be done right and in accordance with applicable laws, rules and regulations. If not, you could be liable if there’s a problem.
While there is a lot to think about and many questions to ask to ensure the safety and security of your records, Stevens & Stevens Business Records Management is always willing to answer your questions and help you decide on a records management program that’s right for your business. Contact us today.